Saturday, October 26, 2013

Increased Political Instability

A couple of days ago the opposition party in Bangladesh announced that countrywide grand rallies (demonstrations) will be held on October 25, since this day according to the constitution of Bangladesh should be the last day of the current government. It is today exactly three months until election day and this period is supposed to be neutral in terms of a non-partisan caretaker government system. The problem is however that the government is using its 'current power' to also prolong it, during this 'neutral period'. 

Hence, to counter the current threat of the opposition party, the government has decided that the session of current parliament will continue until November 7th. This trigger of course the fear of violence, and the opposition party has now urged their supporters to take the streets today, and days to come. The oppostion party has also called for a 3 day long 'Hartal' (Strike/Shutdown) - giving the government a three-day ultimatum to respect this neutral election-time. 

BNP agrees finally, tension eases
Due this increased political instability (which I have been aware of would most likely take place at this date and for the coming period) - the 'Field Study' time is thus finished. I was recommended by the Swedish Embassy and also by the native people that's been around me, to try to finish the study before this time. For safety reasons.  

The political tension is actually something that's been a concern 'in my periphery' the whole time. As I mentioned last time, this year has been characterized by political instability, riots and violent demonstrations. During my first days in Dhaka we accidently ended up being totally stuck in a chaotic traffic jam, sirens were screaming, and all of a sudden demonstrants came running both in front and back of our car. A so called 'meeting' (demonstration) had spontaneously been annonced to take place just a few blocks away from where we were. One day in Khulna, we could not go out to a village, due to a political demonstration in the city. So, it's been there - the political tension - througout my time. Bangladesh is a developing country - hence, you are most likely exposed to increased risks. One should be aware of that. But despite this political tension I feel we have conducted the field work in best possible way. We have been able to work relatively 'undisturbed' by the political tension and the collected data/information from the field I believe will be enough to complete my study.  

So - I am back home in Sweden. I landed in the 'colourful fall of Sweden' yesterday afternoon. It feels wonderful to reunite with family, but the feelings are mixed. I can not stop thinking of the people in Bangladesh who I left and who have to face all these risks (i.e. their reality): political instability/violence, natural disasters, poisoning catastrophes...and of course, deep poverty). Risks and a reality I just left, just like that? All of a sudden, back in Sweden, where everything is so organized, so safe and so...little people? I am currently in Upplands Väsby - and a man or a woman from Bangladesh would definitely think that this was some kind of Ghost Town as the cars on the road are so few, and you hardly see any people as you are driving in the town (in comparison to Bangladesh).

Not many sunshine stories have I shared with you I realise, from my time in Bangladesh. They might have been overshadowed by the bad stories. There are however, many beautiful and precious moments I will remember forever. Special moments. Memorable meetings. The common people of Bangladesh, whom most were so genuine, so friendly and extremely hospitable, with respect to what they could offer. I was so moved by this and I hope we will manage to stay in contact, the men and women I was honored to get to know.  

Kram från en hemkommen Louise.  

From Daily Star today (www.thedailystar.net) 
All pictures are from Daily Star.

Published: Friday, October 25, 2013

People’s nerves on edge


People live on their nerves

Considerably fewer vehicles were seen on the streets of the capital yesterday as many city dwellers stayed indoors fearing violence and torching of vehicles ahead of the 18-party opposition alliance rally in the capital today. The photo of the roundabout was taken at the eastern end of Manik Mia Avenue. Photo: Star


No comments:

Post a Comment