Sunday, September 29, 2013

কেমন আছেন!

কেমন আছেন! = Hello 

(I am slowly learning Bengali, or you can also just copy and paste)

So, I have arrived safe and sound in Dhaka. I have been here four days and everything has gone well so far. I am being very well taken care of, thanks to the amazing team of Viola Vitalis and principally Dr. Kader Abdul. Also thanks to Professor Yousuf from Khulna University who I met yesterday and who has shared with me bright ideas regarding the design of the actual work out in the field - knows what is possible and what is not. Monday morning I will go to Khulna, in the southern area of Bangladesh. From Khulna I will do daily back-and-forth trips out in the field. I will visit 2-3 arsenic acute locations/villages during my stay in Khulna. With me in the field I will have a translator, a driver and one extra assistant. I had actually the pleasure to meet this whole crew yesterday, and they are great. We'll make a good team! 

Impressions so far in Dhaka. It's hot. It's humid. And there are a LOT of people. Everywhere. Sometimes even sitting on the rooftops of the cars. Electricity is down now and then, but so far only for short periods of time. Water from tap is not always transparent. The basics of life we take for granted, are certainly not obvious here. Trafic is crazy. Among all risks, I'd say trafic is the most dangerous one. There are often no lines to follow and it seems like the 'Law of the Jungle' is the only law applied. Lastly but not least, there is poverty. Beggars in the street, many of them children. This is the hardest part. Poverty physically touches you upon your skin as you are walking in the streets and of course, affects you mentally. Helplessness. Frustration. But in spite of tough, tough circumstances, people are extremely nice and friendly. It's quite amazing. 

Today I will visit the Swedish Embassy. Then it's time to pack the bag again - this time for Khulna and for the actual field work. On our way down to Khulna we will pass through an area of mangrove forests, which apparently is the home of The Royal Bengal Tiger. I might stay in the car. 

Kram, Louise


Dhaka traffic...

Taxis in Dhaka = Rikshas (impressed by the guys driving them)

More Rikshas 

Women's dresses (called Saris) are so beautiful, elegant and colorful. 




Man selling coconuts. We bought one from this man. Drank the coconut water. Simply fond of coconuts! :) 

Man on a Riksha

"Friday is a day off in Bangladesh, therefore it's a good day for a tour in the city, traffic is calm" driver Shimul says...

Meeting in the office of Viola Vitalis. Professor Yousuf to the very right, left of him, the assistant in the field, Mr. Mijam, then, driver Mr. Shimul and to the very left, Dr. Salam, operating manager of Viola Vitalis. A newly graduated girl (mechanical engineer) from Khulna University, Ms. Nusrat, is going to be  my translator in the field. 


3 comments:

  1. Wow Louise,

    Bravo, c'est un très beau voyage que tu es en train de faire ! Plus qu'une découverte, c'est une aventure inoubliable !

    Je te souhaite tout le meilleur et au plaisir de suivre tes aventures sur ce blog.

    BizXxx,
    Sanjeev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci sincèrement Sanjeev. Bisous, Louise

      Delete
  2. Take a picture of a tiger if you see one :) X my fingers! ;)

    O kul att de verkar va ett schysst team du e med.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete